TUSCAN BEAN SOUP
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 baby onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped parsley and sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 50 g fresh bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 800g (2 cans) cannellini beans, drained (reserve 4 TBSP beans)
- 1 tomato
- 2 tablespoons corn flour, mixed to a paste with water
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, sliced for croutons
In a large pot, braise the bacon over a low heat- so as not to colour. Add onion, garlic, and herbs. Braise in olive oil for 5 min, add chopped tomato and cook for further 5 min. Add can of beans, keep 4tbsp of beans aside for garnish. Add chicken or vegetable stock. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Blend and push the soup through a sieve. Bring your soup back to the boil and add your 4 tbsp garnish beans to the pot. Once soup has been brought to a boil, place the pot into the wonderbag and allow to stand for 2 hours.
To make croutons: drizzle ciabatta slices with olive oil and grill, preferably over an open fire or in a frying pan until brown. Serve soup hot with croutons.