TOMATO CELERY SOUP
This is truly one of my favourite dishes! It is so low in calories yet so high in nutrition – especially the antioxidant lycopene found in tomatoes. A quick and easy meal to make, and then place in your Wonderbag until you get back from work. Once you are home, you blend it up and dinner is ready!
- 30ml olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 long sticks of celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 6 whole big tomatoes, skins removed
- 2 tins tomatoes, chopped
- 250ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 45ml brown sugar
- Black pepper and coarse salt to taste
- Crumbled feta to garnishr
- Basil pesto to garnish
- FOR VARIATON, ADD:
- 250ml Fresh cream at the end OR Additional protein at the beginning – 200g chopped bacon or 1 x can 400g butterbeans
- Heat up the oil/butter in a large pot.
- Add the onions, garlic and celery and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Now add the fresh and tinned tomatoes and the stock – bring to the boil.
- Add the sugar, salt and pepper to taste, mix and place in the Wonderbag on a mat or cloth.
- Leave in the Wonderbag for 3 hours.
- Remove and blend the soup with a handheld blender.
- Serve garnished with crumbled feta and basil pesto
- Best served with homemade bread.
To easily remove the tomatoes’ skins, cut a small cross in the top of the tomato, blanch in boiling water for 1 minute and then plunge into cold water. The skins peel off easily