Paella is a Valencian rice dish originating from the coast of Eastern Spain near the Albufera Lagoon. This Wonderbag version is a wonderful, simple and delicious approach to paella.
- 30ml / 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled & diced
- 2 red and/or yellow peppers, seeded and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled & sliced
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 550g / 1 ¼lbs Andouille sausage (sliced into medallions) or chorizo (crumbled)
- 375ml / 1 ½ cups passata (tomato purée/ strained tomatoes)
- 1lt / 4 cups chicken stock
- 500ml / 2 cups long grain rice
- 250ml / 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 large pinch saffron strands (or a pinch of turmeric)
- 10ml / 2 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 350g / ¾lb raw tiger or king prawns
- 225g / ½lb mussels (in shell)
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, each sliced into 8 pieces
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
Warm 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a 5-6 quart pot over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes until softened but not browned.
Add the chicken drumsticks and Andouille sausage, season with salt and pepper and sauté until lightly browned on all sides. Add the passata to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring just once or twice to allow the passata to thicken.
Stir in the stock, rice, peas, saffron (or turmeric), paprika and bay leaf. Place the shrimp, mussels and tomato pieces on top and let simmer with the lid secured for 20 minutes.
Place the lidded pot into your Wonderbag and seal it for 2 hours. Season to taste and serve with lemon slices.