HOMESTYLE BEEF STEW
There is a good reason why it is called ‘comfort food’. Stews have been around since the ancient times. In fact the practice of stew making goes back some 8000 years.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3lb/1kgs stewing beef (bottom round) cut into large 2 inch pieces
- 3 yellow onions, chopped
- 1lb/0kg carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 28oz/794g can diced tomatoes (if using fresh, use 10-12 roma tomatoes, finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp garlic, diced (about 3 cloves)
- 1½lb button mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 Tbsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups beef stock
Dredge the beef in flour, shake off the excess, set aside. Heat the olive oil in an 6-8 quart pot over medium heat, and brown the beef on all sides (about 5 minutes).
Add the onions and cook until soft (5 min), stirring frequently to dislodge browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Place your lidded pot in the Wonderbag for a minimum of 4 hours to finish cooking (can easily be left all day). Salt and pepper to taste, and serve.