This is a classic Vietnamese soup – perfect to do in the Wonderbag. Serve with the essential garnishes for pho soup – fresh herbs, bean sprouts, chillies and limes – and let everyone top their own.
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 8 whole star anise ( or less)
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bone in chicken breasts ( about 2 ½lbs) skin removed
- 6oz/170g wide rice noodles
- 4 cups chopped Bok Choy
- 1 cup Mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 fresh Thai chili or Serrano, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
In a medium size pot (6 quart) combine the chicken broth, fish sauce, sugar, star anise, cloves, ginger and cinnamon stick.
Cut the chicken breasts into 3 inch pieces. Add the chicken breasts to the pot and place the lid on the pot. Bring to a boil then gently simmer for 15 minutes.
Transfer the lidded pot to the Wonderbag and allow to finish cooking for 3 hours.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board – remove spices and discard. Add the rice noodles and Bok Choy to the pot and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the bone and shred with 2 forks - when the noodles are tender add the shredded chicken back to the pot.
Serve bowls of soup with the Mung beans, chopped herbs, lime and chilli offered on the side for people to add as desired.