CHICKEN APRICOT STEW
A perfectly simple and nutritious meal to cook for your family as a weekday meal.
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- Handful fresh sage, chopped
- Handful fresh thyme, chopped
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 Tbsp flour (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- ½ cup brown lentils
- ½ cup dried apricot, soaked in warm water for about 30 minutes
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 Tbsp apricot jam
- 1 Tbsp fruit chutney
- 1 cup chicken stock (with 2 tsp chicken stock powder or 1 cube)
- Salt and pepper
Combine chopped fresh herbs and spread the mixture between skin and meat of the chicken.
Lightly coat the chicken with seasoned flour (reserve excess flour).
Heat the oil in the pot and brown the chicken on all sides, remove from the pot and set aside.
Add the finely chopped onion, garlic, carrot, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, lemon zest and 1 Tbsp of the left over flour to the pot. Cook gently for 5 minutes
Add lentils, chopped apricots and quartered onions and mix well, cooking for another 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix together the jam, chutney and stock - pour into the pot and add chicken pieces. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Place the lidded pot in the Wonderbag to finish cooking for at least 3 ½ hours or overnight.
Serve with brown rice.