Corn and cheese steamed bread (serves 8 – 10)
3 cups (750ml) bread flour
650ml lukewarm water
10ml dry yeast
5ml black pepper
125ml corn kernels
250ml grated cheese
6 spring onions, chopped
• Place the bread flour, yeast, salt and spices in a bowl
• Stir in the cheese and chopped spring onions
• Add the corn kernels, water and oil and mix well.
• Knead until a smooth soft and pliable dough is formed (it must not be sticky. Add more flour if needed)
• Lightly oil a 1.5lt stainless steel bowl
• Place the dough in the bowl, cover and leave to rise for 20 minutes
• Cover the bowl with tin foil with a pleat in to allow the bread to rice, and secure this with string
• Place in an 8 – 10t pot on a cloth and fill halfway up the side of the bowl with water
• Place the covered pot on the stove over a medium heat and allow the bread to steam for 45 minutes.
• Place the whole pot in a Wonderbag on a cloth or mat and seal.
• Leave to steam for 4 hours
• Open, remove the bowl, uncover and unmould the bread.
• Serve with butter. Great for camping!
Easy – medium