Rich Oxtail Stew (Serves 6)
- 1.5kg oxtail
- 15ml butter
- 15ml oil
- 10-12 pickling onions
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 2-3 medium carrots, sliced
- 15ml mixed herbs
- 1 tin chopped tomato
- 1 tin tomato puree
- 60ml brown sugar
- 5ml coarse black pepper
- 500ml red wine or beef stock
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1-2 beef stock cubes or stock pot
- Trim excess fat, brown the oxtails in the heated oil and butter and remove from the pot.
- Sauté the onions, garlic and vegetables
- Add the wine and spices and boil for 10 minutes
- Return the oxtail to the pot together with the remaining ingredients
- Bring to the boil while stirring, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Place the lidded pot in the Wonderbag and leave to cook for at least 8 hours or overnight
- This dish improves if refrigerated overnight and reheated before serving the following day.